Admission to our Libraries
Admission to the Library: Registered Users
When you register you will be given a student card which is also your Library card. You will need your card to enter the library and to borrow books.
MIC Staff/Retired Staff
Your MIC Staff ID card is your Library card. You need it to enter the Library and to borrow books. Staff cards are issued by the Student Services Office in MIC.
Bring your UL Student ID card to MIC Library. You will need it to borrow.
Bring your UL Staff ID card to MIC Library. You will need it to borrow.
Admission to the Library: Students from other Colleges
Please note that we cannot accept direct applications from taught-course students at other Irish academic and educational institutions.
- Primary and Secondary school students cannot be admitted during semester.
Undergraduate and diploma students at other universities who wish to use the Library should apply to their own university library for a letter of introduction. Bring this letter to MIC library for up to one week's access. During the summer vacation period (mid-May -end of August) students may apply for access through the CONUL scheme. Please note a CONUL application is made through your home library. Bring your CONUL card to MIC library where you will be issued with a library admission card. Borrowing is not possible under this scheme.
Staff and postgraduate students (doctoral and masters - taught and research) at other universities in the Republic of Ireland can apply for reference access through the ALCID scheme. Please note that an ALCID application is made through your home library. Your ALCID card and a home institution ID card should be brought to MIC library where you will be issued with a library admission card. Borrowing is not possible under this scheme.
Sconul Access. Visitors who hold a SCONUL Access card can apply for access/borrowing facilities at MIC library. Visitors with a Sconul card should first contact the Information Desk at the University of Limerick Library where they will be issued with an ID/borrower card. You can then register to borrow at the MIC Library Service Desk.
External Readers & Visitors
Admission to the MIC Limerick Campus Library
Members of the public requiring access for research purposes, or with genuine scholarly needs, can apply to use the Library as an External Reader.
- An External Reader has access to the Library for reference (that is consulting resources in the Library) but not for borrowing.
- As the Library's primary purpose is to serve the needs of registered staff and students, the interests of External Readers should not conflict with the needs of registered staff or students.
- Some Library materials that are in high demand from students on taught courses are not available to External Readers.
- Please note that under the terms of our user licences with publishers, some electronic resources are not available to External Readers.
- Electronic resources may only be used for private study and research and not for commercial gain.
- Please print off and complete the External Reader application form and return it to The Librarian, Mary Immaculate College, Library, South Circular Road, Limerick.
- You will be informed by post of the outcome of your application.
- Applications take one week to process.
- Please note that membership may be withdrawn at the discretion of the Librarian.
Admission to the MIC Thurles Campus Library
External readers are welcome to use the library for study purposes and to use the materials onsite. Borrowing of books is currently not possible.
External members are advised that priority is given to students for both accessing materials and use of facilities.
Before using the library please contact Ruth Talbot at: Tel: (0504) 20531 or email: email@example.com.