Accessing Other Libraries
Visiting Other Libraries
There are many options available if you would like to visit other libraries.
Before visiting another library, check the opening hours and access requirements of that particular library from Other Library Websites
ALCID scheme for staff and postgraduates (Doctoral, Master's by research and by exam). Please click here for further information.
Unfortunately, from September 2022, the SCONUL Access Scheme is no longer available to MIC Staff and Students.
SCONUL (Society of College, National and University Libraries) is a reciprocal access scheme, granting borrowing privileges to a range of library users of higher education libraries in Ireland and the UK.
We will update this page if this changes in the future.
This access scheme is for academic staff, research students and full-time taught postgraduates. Please click here for further information.
- If you need to visit other libraries not included in the above schemes, you will need a letter of introduction.
- A letter of introduction usually only provides access for one day or short-term access, and must specify the reason for the visit. Ongoing access is rarely permitted.
- A letter of introduction does not guarantee that you will be granted access to the stated library. It is provided on a goodwill basis. Some libraries may refuse access at busy or exam periods, or for other reasons e.g. space restrictions, seat shortages etc.
- Please enquire at the Service Desks if you need a letter of introduction to another library.
- Before visiting another library check the opening hours and access requirements of that particular library from Other Library websites
If you live at a distance from MIC or other university libraries, remember to check out your local public library for easy access to a place to study and borrow reading materials when off-campus.
The interlibrary loan (ILL) service can assist you in obtaining material that is not held directly in the library. This service is aimed at academic staff, postgraduate students and final year undergraduate students. For further information please click here.