Close icon
Close icon


Before you Go

There are many practical considerations before you travel to Mary Immaculate College to begin your studies.

Essential Documents

EU/EEA Citizens

  • Passport
  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), available from your local health authority
  • Acceptance letter from Mary Immaculate College

Non EU/EEA Citizens

  • Passport (with visa, if required)
  • Private Health Insurance
  • Acceptance letter from Mary Immaculate College
  • Evidence of payment of fees

Health Insurance

Nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA*)


Students on a temporary stay in Ireland are entitled to public healthcare that may become necessary during their stay in Ireland on production of a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or equivalent. To avail of public health services, you must attend a doctor who is registered with the General Medical Scheme (GMS). Medication prescribed by this doctor may be obtained, free of charge, from any local pharmacy. This scheme does not cover any medical condition that existed prior to the student arriving in Ireland. If hospital treatment is required, you should attend the nearest hospital’s Accident and Emergency Department and present your EHIC or equivalent. 

Under the General Medical Scheme in Ireland, for non-emergency cases, there may be a delay in obtaining an appointment with a specialist doctor and in obtaining hospital treatment. Persons who have private medical insurance can usually obtain such treatment more speedily. Any students wishing to obtain private health care are advised to do so before coming to Ireland.

*The European Economic Area (EEA) comprises the 28 EU member states: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom and the non-EU member states: Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

Non-EEA Nationals

Students from countries outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) are required to have private health insurance before coming to Ireland

Private Health Insurance options:

*Please note that while we include links to private insurance companies below, MIC does not endorse or recommend any particular one*

Study and Protect:

Study & Protect, a specialist international student insurance broker, provide a comprehensive health insurance offering by Irish Life Health called ‘Study in Ireland’. More information about Study & Protect can be found here. Please note, they do not provide multi-year plans.

Other Health Insurance options from the following Irish insurance companies include:

Visa & Immigration Information

Pre-Arrival Visa Requirements

Citizens of certain countries require an entry visa for Ireland. Please check with the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Services (INIS) if a visa is required. 

How to Apply

Visa applications must be made online using the INIS AVATS online facility. The online application and any documentation requested must be submitted prior to a visa application process commencing.  Please note the following requirements: 

  • Passport must be valid for 12 months
  • Evidence of private health insurance*
  • Evidence of an offer to study at Mary Immaculate College
  • Evidence of payment of tuition fees
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to cover living expenses

*Purchase a health insurance plan with 12 months cover here.

It is advisable to apply for a visa as early as possible as it can take at least 8 weeks to process. It is possible to check if a visa has been processed at INIS Visa Decisions, which is updated weekly.

Post-Arrival Immigration Requirements

EU/EEA Nationals

Citizens of the EU/EEA are not required to present themselves to the immigration authorities in Ireland.

Non-EU/EEA Nationals

All non-EU/EEA citizens are subject to immigration controls at the point of entry to Ireland.  An immigration official will stamp a date of either 1 or 3 months from the entry date, requiring registration with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) in Limerick within that time period.

In addition to your passport (with visa, if required) it is essential to have your acceptance letter from Mary Immaculate College, evidence of funding available and fees paid, and evidence of private health insurance available for inspection by the immigration official.

Registering with the GNIB

The International Office will assist with arranging an appointment to register with the GNIB. The following documents must be presented to the GNIB:

  • Valid passport (with entry visa if required)
  • Letter of acceptance from Mary Immaculate College
  • Valid student ID card
  • Evidence of private medical insurance
  • Evidence of access to sufficient funds to cover living expenses
  • A credit/debit card for payment of €300 registration fee

Following registration with the GNIB, an Irish Residence Permit (IRP) will be issued, which is valid for one year, or one semester, whichever is applicable. If you wish to leave and return to Ireland within this period, you will be able to show your passport and IRP card to prove to airlines and immigration officials that you have a right to travel to Ireland. The IRP card must be renewed each year by the expiry date.

Working in Ireland

Students attending a full-time programme at Mary Immaculate College for one year are entitled to work part-time, up to 20 hours per week, during academic terms and full-time, up to 40 hours per week, during college holidays. Please see the academic calendar for details of term dates.

Students attending MIC for one semester are not permitted to work.

Personal Public Service Number (PPS)

Similar to a Social Security Number, or other tax identification number, a PPS number is required to register with the Irish tax authority, Revenue, and to work in Ireland.

Students must attend the Intreo Centre in Limerick to apply for a PPS number and provide the documentation outlined below.

EU/EEA Students

Students from the EU/EEA can work in Ireland without a work permit, but must apply for a PPS number. The following documentation is required:

  • Passport
  • Proof of address, such as a utility bill or bank statement
  • Evidence of a job offer e.g. an offer letter

Non-EU/EEA Students

Full-time Non-EU/EEA Students can work up to 20 hours per week during term time and up to 40 hours during holiday periods. Students studying for just one semester cannot work while in Ireland. When applying for a PPS number, the following documentation is required:

  • Passport
  • Irish Residence Permit (IRP) previously know as GNIB card
  • Mary Immaculate College student card
  • Proof of address, such as a status letter from Mary Immaculate College, utility bill or bank statement
  • Status letter from Mary Immaculate College
  • Evidence of a job offer e.g. an offer letter

Please contact with any questions.

  • Before you Go
  • Health Insurance
  • Visa & Immigration Information
  • Working in Ireland