Teacher Education Access Programme (TEAP)
The Teacher Education Access Course for Mature Learners is a programme offered by Mary Immaculate College in partnership with the City of Limerick Vocational Educational Committee, Adult Education Service and Limerick Youth services. It is designed for mature learners who wish to gain entry to the B Ed (Primary Teaching) at the College. The course is aimed at anyone over the age of 22 by 1 January on the year of application, who is interested in applying to the B Ed (Primary Teaching) and who does not hold the minimum entry requirements.
The course takes place on Friday evening from 6-9pm and Saturdays (9.30am-5.30pm) and runs from September in any given year.
The programme is designed to offer participants an opportunity to obtain the prerequisite entry requirements to the B Ed programme (see Appendix A). To help students in this regard, two subjects at honours Leaving Certificate level will be offered (Gaeilge and English). In addition, students will study a further two compulsory modules which require the completion of course work, which are:
- Introduction to Studies in Education. Topics covered include: The Irish Primary School Curriculum and the Theory of Teaching and Learning.
- Students will spend time in a school setting observing and participating in the life of the school. Insights gained from this experience will be documented using a reflective journal.
Those who successfully complete the course and fulfill the minimum entry requirements for the B Ed (Primary Teaching) programme will be offered a place on the B Ed programme in MIC.
Aims and objectives of the course:
- Equip students with the necessary skills to participate in, and benefit from, a third level course
- Provide students with an opportunity to experience the satisfaction that can be gained from learning
- Offer students an opportunity to obtain the minimum requirements for entry to the profession
- Build up confidence in a supportive learning environment
- Provide a direct access route to the MIC B Ed (Primary Teaching)
- Provide an alternative access route to third level for mature students