Teacher Education Access Programme (TEAP)
- Programme Overview
- Entry Requirements
- How to Apply
- Ask a Question
The Teacher Education Access Programme (TEAP) for Mature Learners is offered by Mary Immaculate College in partnership with Limerick and Clare Education and Training Board. It is designed for mature learners who wish to gain entry to the B Ed (Primary Teaching) at the College. The course is aimed at anyone over the age of 22 by 1 January on the year of application, who is interested in applying to the B Ed (Primary Teaching) and who does not hold the minimum entry requirements.
The TEAP course runs late September 2022 until May 2023 and will be offered face-to-face. The course will run on two weekday evenings, specific details of which will be announced in September.
The programme is designed to offer participants an opportunity to obtain the prerequisite entry requirements to the B Ed programme. To help students in this regard, Gaeilge at honours Leaving Certificate level will be offered. Options to study other Leaving Certificate subjects are available within Limerick and Clare Education and Training Board.
In addition, students will study a further two compulsory TEAP modules which require the completion of course work, which are:
- Introduction to Studies in Education. Topics covered include: The Irish Primary School Curriculum and the Theory of Teaching and Learning.
- Students will spend time in a school setting observing and participating in the life of the school. Insights gained from this experience will be documented using a reflective journal.
Those who successfully complete the course and fulfill the minimum entry requirements for the B Ed (Primary Teaching) programme will be offered a place on the B Ed programme in MIC.
Aims and objectives of the course:
- Equip students with the necessary skills to participate in, and benefit from, a third level course
- Provide students with an opportunity to experience the satisfaction that can be gained from learning
- Offer students an opportunity to obtain the minimum requirements for entry to the profession
- Build up confidence in a supportive learning environment
- Provide a direct access route to the MIC B Ed (Primary Teaching)
- Provide an alternative access route to third level for mature students