Graduate Diploma / M Ed in Adult and Further Education
The Graduate Diploma in Adult and Further Education commences in September of each year and is available (1) on a full-time basis over two semesters or (2) part-time over three semesters. The programme is recognised by the Teaching Council as a professional teaching qualification for the Further Education sector. It includes modules on the theory and practice of education and lifelong learning (psychological, philosophical, historical and sociological perspectives), teaching, learning, curriculum planning, assessment and a substantial teaching placement.
The programme (see detailed flyer here) is designed to enable students to develop their professional values, knowledge and action in the following ways:
- Enable students, independently and with others, to critically engage with the theory and practice of adult/further education
- Develop students’ knowledge and skills in curriculum planning, teaching and assessment in accordance with given programme and learner needs
- Promote a capacity and a commitment among students to reflective practice, enquiry and research in their teaching taking account of the interdependence of student learning and teacher learning
- Empowers students to create and sustain learning relationships with learners, taking account of the diverse and holistic needs of the adult learner
- Foster a commitment to the values which underpin the professionalism in teaching, including professional care and service to others, responsiveness to change, commitment to their own development as lifelong and collegial learners
A variety of assessment modes are use including course work, presentations, a portfolio and an action research project. The Graduate Diploma is taught using a blend of learning situations (onsite, online and teaching placement). The placement involves 100 hours of teaching in QQI or equivalent programmes in a minimum of two recognised settings. Candidates will need to communicate these arrangements at the time of application.
The programme is available (1) on a full-time basis over two semesters or (2) part-time over three semesters and commences in September of each year. Classes are held at weekends from 2-9pm on Friday and on Saturday morning, 9.30am-12.30pm.
The Graduate Diploma in Adult and Further Education is intended for graduates planning to teach in the adult and further education (FE) sector and for teachers already working in this area who wish to further develop their professional practice. The programme is recognised by the Teaching Council as a professional teaching qualification for the Further Education sector. This programme is also suitable for individuals interested in pursuing a career in adult education, lifelong learning, or community work. Former graduates have also embarked on careers in training and development.
This programme offers a progression option to a Master’s degree in Year 2, subject to certain achievement criteria.