Close icon
Close icon

MIC crowned Fitzgibbon Cup Champions

MIC Fitzgibbon Cup winning team celebrate with the trophy

The Fitzgibbon Cup is returning to MIC after a thrilling win over reigning Champions and neighbours, the University of Limerick. The win comes at a special time for the College which is this year celebrating it's 125th anniversary. 

Congratulating the players and management was President of MIC, Professor Eugene Wall, who said: "Surrounded by our euphoric supporters and players on Saturday evening, I felt a tremendous sense of pride addressing the team after their truly electrifying win. We emphasise to third level students that commitment, hard work and ambition are just some of the merits that will help them succeed in their careers and in life; the team displayed those qualities in abundance in that 60 minutes. Commiserations to our opponents in UL, who played superbly, challenged MIC all the way and were very gracious in defeat. A special word of thanks goes to Jamie Wall, who we are proud to call an MIC Alumnus.  In his first year as Manager of the team in 2017, MIC won this title, and he has worked hard to regain the Fitzgibbon Cup, MIC’s third time winning the trophy.  His dedication to developing these players - as hurlers, young people and role models - has been inspirational."

It's the third time that MIC has won the Fitzgibbon Cup in the competition's history, and the second win under the management of Jamie Wall. Jamie was also a player on the first MIC side to reach the competition's final in 2013 and was a Coach under the management of Eamonn Cregan when the College won the Cup for the first time in 2016.

Speaking after the game, Jamie said: "To be here and to win it against such strong opposition is incredible. We said in the dressing room that this could be a surprise for the whole country but it won't be for us. The spirit, belief and drive the team have is something you can be so proud of. 

Devon Ryan stretches for the ball
Devon Ryan stretches for the ball (Photo: Sports Action Photography)
Jamie Wall on the sideline
Jamie Wall (Photo: Sports Action Photography)
Joe Caesar
Joe Caesar (Photo: Sports Action Photography)
Diarmuid Ryan catches a high ball
Diarmuid Ryan catches a high ball (Photo: Sports Action Photography)
PJ Fanning wins possesion
PJ Fanning wins possesion (Photo: Sports Action Photography)

UL had been undefeated for 22 games in the competitition and were favourites going into the game as they chased their third consecutive Cup win. However, a pulsating start from MIC saw them score five unanswered points in the first four minutes to signal their intent. 

MIC's goalkeeper, Jason Gillane, scored three of those points from placed balls close to 100 yards out before a fourth effort dropped short and into the back of the UL net. Devon Ryan, MIC's top scorer for the competition, also found the back of the UL net as he scored 1-4 throughout the game.

MIC captain Colin O'Brien and Diarmuid Ryan both scored two points, with Cathal Quinn, Ronan Power and Shane Meehan also pointing. 

Ever dangerous, UL closed to within one point as full time approached but Herculean defending and an injury time point from MIC sealed the win with a two point margin. 

First year Bachelor of Education student, Joe Caesar, was named Man of the Match for his performance on the half back line. Speaking to TG4 after the game he said: "It was ferocious out there and you didn't have a second on the ball but we were probably disappointed not to be up by more at half time. But it was a case of we're four points up and we'll go out to try to win the game. I still can't believe it!"