SCONUL (Society of College, National and University Libraries) is a reciprocal access scheme, granting borrowing privileges to a range of library users of higher education libraries in Ireland and the UK. This scheme does not include Trinity College Dublin.
SCONUL Access is given to Mary Immaculate College users (through its affiliation with UL). Each member library chooses which types of user to accept under the scheme as follows:
- Band A: Staff (both academic and support staff) and research students.
- Band B: Part-time undergraduates and postgraduates, distance learning.
- Band C: Full-time taught postgraduates.
- Band R*: Reference access to full-time undergraduates, and some other users not covered by the band agreement.
*Note: Full-time undergraduates do not have borrowing privileges.
Applying for SCONUL Access
To apply for SCONUL Access you will need to do the following:
Ensure that you do not have any fines or overdue books in either UL or MIC Library and that your library record is up to date in both places
- Visit the SCONUL Access page and fill out the application form as follows:
- Select the kind of user you are and the name of your home institution from the dropdown menus (remember to choose University of Limerick under ‘L’)
- Click on the ‘Find’ button to get a list of the institutions you are eligible to visit.
- Select the institution you want to visit from the list; a pop up screen will appear giving you the option to ‘Apply for Access’, select this option.
- Fill in the registration form using your MIC student number and email. Your application will then be submitted to UL Library for approval.
- Once your application is approved, you will receive a confirmation email from UL Library outlining your status and entitlements under the scheme.
- This email can be printed and used to gain access to any member library. Please note: you do not have to reapply each time you wish to visit a new host library.
- When visiting another Library
- Before travelling, check the website of the library you intend to visit for opening hours, access regulations and other information.
- When you arrive, present a copy of the email confirming your acceptance onto the scheme, along with your current, valid ID card.
- Take care of any items you borrow, you are responsible for replacing them if they get lost or damaged.