Pre-University Programme for Mature Learners
- Programme Overview
- Programme Content
- Entry Requirements
- How to Apply
- Ask a Question
The Pre-University Programme for Mature Learners is a programme offered by the Academic Learning Centre (ALC) in Mary Immaculate College and is aimed at adult learners (minimum age: 22) from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds who wish to continue their education, and whose educational experiences and opportunities in their earlier years may have been limited. The programme begins on Wednesday 18 October 2023 for 3 hours per week (10am - 1pm) over eight weeks.
Objectives & Subjects on Offer
The programme aims to:
- Provide a ‘taster’ of higher education
- Develop the necessary skills for third level success
- Attract under-represented groups such as, members of the Traveller community, unemployed persons, single parents and migrants
- Develop an alternative progression route to third level
- Raise awareness of the supports offered to mature students at third level
The programme is designed to offer participants a sample of the subjects that are available on a degree programme, while equipping students with a set of transferable skills, which will enable them to succeed at third level. The programme features core subjects History and Philosophy, and in addition, a core skills programme in Academic Writing.