Foundation Certificate for Mature Learners
The Foundation Certificate for Mature Learners is a programme offered by the Academic Learning Centre (ALC) in Mary Immaculate College and is designed for mature learners (anyone over the age of 22 by 1 January on the year of application) who wish to continue their education and potentially progress to full-time third level study. The course takes place on Mondays and Wednesdays 7-9pm and runs from October to April.
Objectives & Subjects on Offer
The programme aims to:
- Equip students with the necessary skills to participate in, and benefit from, a third level course
- Provide students with an opportunity to experience the satisfaction that can be gained from learning
- Build up confidence in a supportive learning environment
- Provide a direct access route to the MIC BA in Liberal Arts for those who attain a merit
- Provide an alternative to the Leaving Certificate as a route to third level for mature students
The 80 hour programme is designed to offer participants a sample of the subjects that are available on a degree programme, while equipping students with a set of transferable skills, which will enable them to succeed at third level. The programme features a range of six core subjects chosen from the BA degree in MIC including History, Heritage Studies, German Studies, Philosophy, English Language & Literature and Geography. In addition, two core skills programmes are also offered: Academic Writing and Information Technology.
What do I get Afterwards?
Students achieving a merit on the Foundation Certificate will be offered a place on the Bachelor of Arts (MI002) degree programme in MIC, subsequent to completion of a CAO form and supplementary form before 1 February.
In addition, MIC Foundation Students who obtain a merit (average of a B3) have direct entry to the following MIC and UL programmes (subject to certain criteria in some instances, please see notes below). All interested applicants must apply via the CAO system:
- Bachelor of Arts (MI002)
- Bachelor of Arts in Contemporary and Applied Theatre Studies (CATS), (MI001)
- BA in Education, Business Studies & Accounting (MI009) at MIC Thurles*
- BA in Education, Business Studies & Religious Studies (MI010) at MIC Thurles*
- Bachelor of Arts (LM002)
- Journalism & New Media (LM039)
- European Studies (LM040)
- Business Studies (LM050)
Note: Students progressing to language options within these programmes must already have Leaving Certificate level language, except where beginners' level languages are offered by the programme.
*Please note applicants may be required to attend for interview.