Focus on IELTS (Academic)
The Focus on International English Language Testing System (IELTS) programme is aimed at students who wish to pursue an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at Mary Immaculate College or another university where an IELTS score of 6.5 is required. This programme is delivered by way of a blended learning format which includes: personal contact hours (classes, tutorials, and student presentations); online assignments (language quizzes and tests, discussion fora and wikis), and self-reflective, independent study.
The programme comprises of the following modules:
- English as a Foreign Language
- English for Academic Purposes
- IELTS Preparation
- World English, including American and Irish English
Students who complete this course will:
- Reach the required English language standard (IELTS 6.5) for entry to undergraduate and postgraduate programmes at MIC or another institution
- Develop effective listening and speaking skills necessary for successful participation in university courses
- Expand reading and writing skills to university standard
- Gain confidence in English language proficiency allowing full benefit from the university experience
Assessment will be a combination of:
- Continuous assessment throughout the programme including written assignments, online language tests, discussion fora, wikis, group projects and presentations
- Final end-of-semester written examinations
- Satisfactory class attendance
- IELTS examination
Entry Requirements & Details
Students must demonstrate their level of English language by producing a recent IELTS band score or equivalent.
- Minimum IELTS Starting Level: 5.0
- Minimum IELTS Finishing Level: 6.5*
- Duration: 25 weeks
- Hours per week: 20
* An IELTS score of 6.5 or approved equivalency test score is the English language requirement for direct entry onto undergraduate and postgraduate programmes at MIC and most institutions. Students may wish to complete a pre-sessional English language programme before commencing full-time studies at Mary Immaculate College or another institution.