Mary Immaculate College is registered with the Garda National Vetting Bureau for the provision of Garda Vetting services. In January 2008, the College introduced Garda Vetting for all students over the age of 18 years who have substantial unsupervised access to children and/or vulnerable adults during the course of their studies at MIC.
Garda Vetting will only be conducted in respect of students between the ages of 16 years and 18 years, predicated on the written consent of a parent or guardian, and all applications for Garda Vetting in this case must be accompanied by a completed parent/guardian consent form.
- To process all applications for Garda Vetting
- To manage their progression from application through to receipt of Vetting Reference from the National Vetting Bureau.
- To maintain a confidential database of all information received.
- Attending at Orientation days to advise new students on Garda Vetting and on the correct procedure in the completion of application forms.
- Assisting graduating students in the completion of Garda Vetting forms required by the Teaching Council of Ireland.
- Liaising with all College departments on issues relating to Garda Vetting and advising on best practice..
- Applications should be posted to the Garda Vetting Office at the College.
Application forms for Garda Vetting are available on this website under the Documentation tab.
Please download the relevant form and read the Guidelines and instructions carefully.
The Garda Vetting application process is a two stage process.
Fill in the NVB1 form and ensure it is legible. Follow-up calls to clarify data can be time consuming and can delay your vetting process.
If you are under 18 years your parent/guardian will need to complete the Parent/Guardian Consent form and provide their contact details. Please attach this form to your application.
Please get a copy of your photographic ID certified and attach it to your NVB1 form. Acceptable ID documentation is detailed under the Useful Information - Acceptable ID Documentation tab above.
Please post your application to the Garda Vetting Office at the College.
To Certify ID: Photocopy the original and bring both the copy and the original to one of the following:
A member of An Garda Síochána,
A Commissioner for Oaths or
A practicing solicitor.
Write across the top of the copy:
'This is a true copy of the original' - the person certifying will then need to stamp and sign the copy.
Please post your fully completed application to the Garda Vetting Office at Mary Immaculate College.
When the data on your NVB1 form has been processed, the National Vetting Bureau will send you an email containing a link to your online application.
This email will be sent to the email address provided on your NVB1 form. So please ensure you look out for it and also check your SPAM folder.
You must complete and submit your online application to begin the Garda Vetting process.
Completion of the process can take up to 10 days, all being well.
Your Letter of Disclosure will be sent to you in due course, prior to placement.
Second Year students who intend to undertake a work placement in a school environment in their Off-Campus year will be advised by the Placement & Careers Office on the procedure to be followed.
You can contact the Garda Vetting Officer via MSTEAMS or at the email address provided.
In accordance with the Retention of Document schedule all student records will be destroyed one year after graduation date.
Please click on your programme of study below to find the relevant Garda Vetting form.
When you have completed your application please bring it to the College on your Orientation day where a drop box will be provided. Please ensure your documents are in a sealed envelope preferably with your student ID number on the outside, as a reference.
Alternatively you can post your application to the Garda Vetting Office at the College.
- Bachelor of Education
- Bachelor of Education International
- Bachelor of Education & Psychology
- BA Early Childhood Care and Education
- BA Early Childhood Care and Education Link In
- BA in Contemporary and Applied Theatre Studies
- BA Liberal Arts
- BA in Education, Business Studies and Accounting
- BA in Education, Business Studies and Religious Studies
- BA in Education, Gaeilge and Religious Studies
- BA in Education, Gaeilge and Business Studies
- BA in Education, Mathematics and Gaeilge
- BA in Education, Mathematics and Business Studies
Postgraduate and other Garda vetting forms
- PME Professional Master's in Education
- Grad Cert/Diploma in Middle Leadership and Mentoring
- Master of Education
- Gard Cert/Diploma in Special Education Needs
- Professional Doctorate in Education and Child Psychology
- Grad Cert/Diploma in Adult and Further Education
- PhD Student
- M ED Leadership and Wellbeing in Education
- Research Master's
- MA Education Autism Studies
- M ED Educational Leadership and Management
- M ED Literacy in Education
- ACADEMIC RESEARCHER
Your Letter of Disclosure will be posted to the address you provide when filling out your Garda Vetting Application form.
When you receive your Letter, it is good practice to laminate it and keep it safely to avoid having to request a copy letter.
However if you do need a copy letter the procedure is as follows:
Pay the replacement letter fee of €15 by clicking on this link: www.mic.ul.ie/charges
Return the receipt by email to the Garda Vetting office.
Please include your programme of study and a unique identifier i.e. date of birth.
Your letter will be sent to you by return.
- Useful Information
- Copy Letters