Close icon
Close icon

Admission to our Libraries

Admission to the Library: Registered Users

MIC Students

When you register you will be given a student card which is also your Library card. You will need your card to enter the library and to borrow books.

MIC Staff/Retired Staff

Your MIC Staff ID card is your Library card. You need it to enter the Library and to borrow books. Staff cards are issued by the Student Academic Administration in MIC.

UL Students

Bring your UL Student ID card to MIC Library. You will need it to borrow items. 

UL Staff

Bring your UL Staff ID card to MIC Library. You will need it to borrow.

Admission to the Library: Students from other Colleges, Visitors & MIC Alumni

Graduates of Mary Immaculate College can access the Library by applying online as an external reader. Please complete the MIC Library Access Application Form in the External Readers and Visitors section below. 

Undergraduate and diploma students at other universities who wish to use the Library may apply online for access as an external reader by completing the MIC Library Access Application Form in the External Readers and Visitors section below. 

Students from other universities/ colleges are required to bring a letter of introduction from their home library and their home institution ID card when visiting.

Staff and postgraduate students (doctoral and master's - taught and research) at other universities in the Republic of Ireland can apply for reference access through the ALCID scheme. Please note that an ALCID application is made through your home library. Your ALCID card and a home institution ID card should be brought to MIC library where you will be issued with a library admission card. Borrowing is not possible under this scheme. 

Primary and Secondary school students cannot be admitted during semester but can apply for access during the summer and other out of term periods.

External Readers & Visitors

Admission to the MIC Limerick Campus Library

Members of the public requiring access for research purposes, or with genuine scholarly needs, can apply to use the Library as an External Reader.

  • An External Reader has access to the Library for reference (that is consulting resources in the Library) but not for borrowing.
  • External Readers can also access our study spaces. Information on how to book a study space will be provided once the application has been approved.
  • As the Library's primary purpose is to serve the needs of registered staff and students, the interests of External Readers should not conflict with the needs of registered staff or students. 
  • Some Library materials that are in high demand from students on taught courses are not available to External Readers.
  • Please note that under the terms of our user licences with publishers, electronic resources are not available to External Readers. 
  • Please complete and submit the MIC Library Access Card Application online
  • You will be informed by email of the outcome of your application. 
  • Applications take one week to process.
  • Please note that membership may be withdrawn at the discretion of the Librarian.


Contact Us

Queries relating to accessing MIC Library can be sent to

Admission to the MIC Thurles Campus Library

External readers are welcome to use the library for study purposes and to use the materials onsite. Borrowing of books is currently not possible.

External members are advised that priority is given to students for both accessing materials and use of facilities.

Before using the library please contact Ruth Talbot at: Tel: (0504) 20531 or email