Why Study Abroad?
The opportunity for international study at one of our partner universities in various locations across Europe, the USA, Australia and more is one of the great benefits of studying at MIC.
- The opportunity for international study at one of our partner universities in various locations across Europe, the USA, Australia and more is one of the great benefits of studying at MIC.
- Students develop a great sense of self-confidence and achievement having mastered living and studying overseas away from the security of familiar surroundings.
- The opportunity to meet students from various backgrounds and cultures, to see amazing sites and experience fantastic adventures informs the perspective of the global citizens our students will become.
- Employers immediately recognise the value of the skills developed by a graduate who has studied overseas, including: adaptability, determination, ability to take risks, communication skills, independence and an open mind!
When can I study abroad?
Options for Study Abroad vary depending on which programme you are studying - set out below is the year and semester that this is available within each programme.
|Programme & Time Period for Study Abroad|
|BA in Contemporary and Applied Theatre Studies (MI001): Year 3, Semester 1 and/or 2|
|Bachelor of Arts (MI002): Year 3, Semester 1 and/or 2*|
|Bachelor of Education (MI005/MI006): Year 3, Semester 1|
|BA in Early Childhood Care and Education (MI007): Year 3, Semester 1|
*Students of Psychology undertake their off-campus placement in Semester 1 only and are required to take modules at MIC in Semester 2.
What can I study abroad?
Students can choose from a wide variety of subjects and modules as long as they fulfil the required number of credits. Many students take the opportunity of study topics related to their chosen field of study or may have the option to try something new.
|Programme, Number of Modules & Credits per Semester|
|BA in Contemporary & Applied Theatre Studies (MI001) 4 modules - (24 ECTS/12 US credits)|
|Bachelor of Arts (MI002) 4 modules - (24 ECTS/12 US credits)|
|Bachelor of Education (MI005/MI006) 5 modules - (30 ECTS/15 US credits)*|
|BA in Early Childhood Care and Education (MI007) 4 modules - (24 ECTS/12 US credits)|
* Bachelor of Education students must complete modules comparable to:
- Early Childhood Education: Curriculum, Research and Pedagogy
- STEM 6: Teaching Mathematics and Science
- Research Methods - Ethical Foundations for Teaching and Research
- Creative Arts 3
- Assessment for and of Learning
Where can I study abroad?
Mary Immaculate College has a large range of potential study abroad locations and partner institutions across Australia, North America, Central and South America, China, Japan and Africa.
Mary Immaculate College also has a vibrant Erasmus+ KA103 exchange programme, involving collaboration with more than 60 partner universities in Europe. Partner universities under the Erasmus+ KA103 programme are located in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Lithuania, Poland, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey.
Please Note: BA (MI002) students studying the languages French or German are required to complete at least one semester in an environment where the relevant language(s) are spoken.
How do I apply?
Erasmus+ and Non-EU
- If you wish to speak to a member of MIC International Office about your Erasmus + and non-EU study abroad options or have questions, please email International@mic.ul.ie or Lauren.McNamara@mic.ul.ie.
- The application deadline for current 2023/24 2nd year students is 5 p.m. on 12th January, 2024. See below for the application form. It is each student’s responsibility to know if their off campus study placement is a compulsory or optional component of their programme and the requirements applicable.
- Please note that a minimum QCA is required to be considered for nomination for study abroad. Your 2nd year Autumn QCA is used in this determination.
- B Ed students require a minimum 2.8 QCA
- BA students require a minimum 2.6 QCA.
- The International Office will notify students of nominations usually mid to late February. Once students receive this notification, they will have 5 working days to confirm their acceptance.
- The partner university application process for students going abroad in Autumn 2024 runs from March to July 2024 (as all universities have different deadlines and documentation requests). The partner application process for students going in Spring 2025 will run from October to early December 2024.
- Visa appointments with the Embassies of the relevant non-EU countries are the responsibility of the applicant student.
- The booking of flights and accommodation are the responsibility of the applicant student for all countries.
Click on the link for the application form for studying abroad. The deadline for completing the application form is 5pm on Friday 12th January 2024. Late applications will not be accepted. You need to fill out this form during your second year to apply for studying abroad during your third year. If you have any questions please email the Outbound Student Officer, Lauren McNamara at Lauren.McNamara@mic.ul.ie.”
The documents below are relevant to students who wish to consider an Erasmus+ study destination.
Costs for international study vary according to the destination and institution as well as variable factors like exchange rates and indeed, individual students' personal preferences and spending habits.
Erasmus+ KA103 (EU)
Grants are available for participants in the Erasmus+ KA103 programme, the value of which depends on the location of the university and the duration of the mobility. For more information, contact the International Office.
Total estimated costs for US depend on the location chosen and can vary from €7,000 to €11,000 per semester (excluding flights and visa costs) but including health insurance, pre-paid campus accommodation and meal plans.
For more information on US or other Non-EU destinations contact us at International@mic.ul.ie.
What Students Say
My time in Linz, Austria was an unforgettable experience. I think it will remain my favourite part of the degree. Being in the centre of Europe, it was so easy to travel to other countries.
The support I received from the International Offices both at home and abroad really helped put me at ease throughout the transition. I would recommend this opportunity to anyone who is considering it.
Caitlin Ní Orsaigh
My Erasmus experience in the city of Huelva, Spain, has been nothing short of amazing. The opportunity to learn a new language while enjoying college life was truly rewarding. The Erasmus nights out were filled with laughter and unforgettable memories.
Making friends from all over the world was a highlight and created lifelong connections. Huelva will always hold a special place in my heart for the incredible Erasmus experience it provided.
Having spent five months in the US, I’ve had the opportunity to explore three different states, each one like a new country.
Studying abroad gives you the opportunity to explore and meet new people, try new food and cultures, and see parts of the world you might never get to see again. It’s an extremely rewarding experience and you will make friends for life out of it.
Lara May Munro
More Student Testimonials
I really enjoyed my experience at St. Francis College, Brooklyn. It is an amazing opportunity to meet like-minded people, explore a new area of the world and gain a unique insight into human rights and global citizenship; two incredibly relevant areas which will support my teaching into my future career!
Siobhán McSweeney – B Ed International Student.
I thoroughly enjoyed my Erasmus experience in Aarhus University, Denmark. I learned so many new skills and of course, my new found independence as a young student. One of my favourite parts of Erasmus is that I met people from all over the world. I now have connections from most continents and I have broadened my knowledge in relation to different societies and cultures.
Although I was super nervous in the beginning, I rapidly fell in love with the country and the people. I would definitely recommend for anyone to take this once in a lifetime opportunity, as I have made friends for life and fond memories forever.
Alannah O’Sullivan - BA Student.
I am so grateful for the study abroad experience offered by MIC. I got to excel in my studies in psychology which have really helped solidify what I wish to do in the future, along with that I was able to take up classes such a ceramics that I would never get the chance to do in Ireland! I made so many friends which I will have for life from all over the world. I learned and experienced so many different cultures, history, food and lifestyle which have really shaped my outlook on the world!
Leah Leonard, BA Student.
My time abroad allowed me to learn, not only more about the subjects I’m interested in, but it allowed me to learn more about myself. It can be a scary thing at first but I would highly recommend it as I was able to meet some amazing people while I was studying abroad. I would definitely do it all over again in a heartbeat.
Ben Cinnamond, BA Student.
- Why Study Abroad?
- When can I study abroad?
- What can I study abroad?
- Where can I study abroad?
- How do I apply?
- What Students Say