When can I study abroad?
The option of when you can spend a semester or a year studying abroad depends on the programme you are pursuing at Mary Immaculate College.
|Programme & Time Period for Study Abroad|
|BA in Contemporary and Applied Theatre Studies (MI001): Year 3, Semester 1 and/or 2|
|Bachelor of Arts (MI002): Year 3, Semester 1 and/or 2*|
|Bachelor of Education (MI005/MI006): Year 3, Semester 1|
|BA in Early Childhood Care and Education (MI007): Year 3, Semester 1|
* Students of Psychology undertake their off-campus placement in Semester 1 only and are required to take modules at MIC in Semester 2.
What can I study abroad?
Students can choose from a wide variety of subjects and modules as long as they can fulfill the required number of credits. Many students take the opportunity of study topics related to their chosen field of study or may have the option to try something new. In the case of Bachelor of Education students, they have to complete modules comparable to the ones their classmates are studying at MIC at the same time.
|Programme & Number of Modules/Credits per Semester|
|BA in Contemporary and Applied Theatre Studies (MI001): 4 modules (24 ECTS/12 US credits)|
|Bachelor of Arts (MI002): 4 modules (24 ECTS/12 US credits)|
|Bachelor of Education (MI005/MI006): 5 modules (30 ECTS/15 US credits)*|
|BA in Early Childhood Care and Education (MI007): 4 modules (24 ECTS/12 US credits)|
* Bachelor of Education students must complete modules comparable to:
- Early Childhood Education: Curriculum, Research and Pedagogy
- STEM 6: Teaching Mathematics and Science
- Research Methods - ethical foundations for teaching and research
- Creative Arts 3
- Assessment for and of Learning
Where can I study abroad?
Mary Immaculate College has a large range of potential study abroad locations and partner institutions across Australia, North America, Central and South America, China, Japan and Africa.
Mary Immaculate College also has a vibrant Erasmus+ KA103 exchange programme, involving collaboration with more than 60 partner universities in Europe. Partner universities under the Erasmus+ KA103 programme are located in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Lithuania, Poland, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey.
Please Note: BA (MI002) students studying the languages French, German or Spanish are required to complete at least one semester in an environment where the relevant language(s) are spoken.
How do I apply?
Erasmus+ and Non-EU
- If you wish to speak to a member of the MIC International Office about your study abroad options, please make an appointment with firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once you have considered your options please download, complete and submit the application form (see below) before the deadline of Friday, 8th January 2021.
- BA ECCE Erasmus + Traineeship Abroad applications should also be submitted to the International Office. These Erasmus + Traineeship Abroad choices can be listed in the Application Form (all destinations and all programmes).
- Notification of Study Abroad allocations will be given mid to late February 2021.
For students who wish to consider an Erasmus+ study destination, the documents below would be relevant to read.
- Erasmus Charter for Higher Education Guidelines 201-2027
- MIC Erasmus Policy Statement
- Please note that a QCA of 2.8 is required for study abroad in some cases; the International Office will be able to advise.
Costs for international study vary according to the destination and institution as well as variable factors like exchange rates and indeed, individual students' personal preferences and spending habits.
Erasmus+ KA103 (EU)
Grants are available for participants in the Erasmus+ KA103 programme, the value of which depends on the location of the university and the duration of the mobility. For more information, contact the International Office.
Total estimated costs for US destinations are €6,000 to €8,000, which includes flights, visa, health insurance, pre-paid accommodation and meals. For more information, contact the International Office.
- When can I study abroad?
- What can I study abroad?
- Where can I study abroad?
- How do I apply?