What is the Teacher Education Access Course for Mature Learners?
The Teacher Education Access Course for Mature Learners is a programme offered by Mary Immaculate College in partnership with the City of Limerick Vocational Educational Committee, Adult Education Service and Limerick Youth services. It is designed for mature learners who wish to gain entry to the B.Ed. (Primary Education) at the College. The course is aimed at anyone over the age of 22 by January 1st on the year of application, who is interested in applying to the B. Ed (Primary Education) and who does not hold the minimum entry requirements (please see Appendix A for details). The course takes place on Friday evening from 6.00pm to 9.00pm and Saturdays (9.30am to 5.30pm) and runs from Friday 8th September 2017.
Aims and objectives of the course:
- Equip students with the necessary skills to participate in, and benefit from, a third level course
- Provide students with an opportunity to experience the satisfaction that can be gained from learning
- Offer students an opportunity to obtain the minimum requirements for entry to the profession
- Build up confidence in a supportive learning environment
- Provide a direct access route to the MIC B.Ed. (Primary Education)
- Provide an alternative access route to third level for mature students
Subjects on offer:
The programme is designed to offer participants an opportunity to obtain the prerequisite entry requirements to the B. Ed programme (see Appendix A). To help students in this regard, two subjects at honours Leaving Certificate level will be offered (Gaeilge and English).
In addition, students will study a further two compulsory modules which require the completion of course work;
- Introduction to Studies in Education. Topics covered include:
• The Irish Primary School Curriculum,
• Theory of Teaching and Learning
- Students will spend time in a school setting observing and participating in the life of the school. Insights gained from this experience will be documented using a reflective journal.
What do I get afterwards?
Those who successfully complete the course and fulfil the minimum entry requirements for the B.Ed will be offered a place on the BED (Primary) Degree programme in MIC.
All applicants for the Access Programme must have completed the Leaving Certificate and must have passed at least three subjects in the Leaving Certificate at either higher or ordinary level, including Mathematics, at the time of application. Applicants who may not have the minimum three H5 honours requirement (needed for the B.Ed) can opt to take both Irish and English to honours Leaving Cert level through the Access Programme at Mary Immaculate College. However, such applicants must note that there is a minimum H5 honours requirement in a third subject at Leaving Cert for the B.Ed Programme, and they must have this honour either at the time of making an application for the Access Programme, or must be in the process of obtaining this honour in the Leaving Cert before June 2018. Intending applicants are requested to carefully read the attached entry requirements for the B.Ed from the Department of Education & Skills (Appendix A), and take particular note of the requirement for three honours and three passes in the Leaving Cert. The essential subjects are an honour in Irish and passes in English and Maths.
You will need to complete an application form, provide two written references and return to the Admissions Office at MIC no later than Thursday 31st August 2017. All eligible applicants will be invited for interview on Tuesday 5th September 2017 (provisional date), and will receive written notification of same. Late entrants may be accepted, if there are places available. All students enrolled on the programme are required to be Garda Vetted.
Course Costs for 2017/2018
- €400 per annum payable in two instalments of €200 at the commencement of each semester.
- There is no charge if you are in receipt of social welfare, on a jobs initiative, on a CE scheme or are a medical card holder.
- €1000 per annum for graduates (those with an existing degree)
|For Course Information:
|Contact the Course Co-ordinator:
Faculty of Education,
South Circular Road,
||Contact the Admissions Office:
The Admissions Office
South Circular Road,