The Inter-Library Loans Service exists to enable you to obtain material required for research or projects which is not held in the Mary Immaculate College library or the University of Limerick library. This service is available to:
- Postgraduate students
- 3rd/4th year undergraduates (for Final Year Project)
The Inter-Library Loans office is on the 1st Floor of the library.
What can be obtained through inter-library loan?
You may request books, articles, reports, theses, conference proceedings, etc.
Making an Inter-Library Loan request
- First, check the library catalogue and the Library’s A-Z list of journals to ensure that the item you need is not already available from the library.
- You should also check the University of Limerick catalogue – you may borrow directly from them as we have reciprocal borrowing privileges.
- To place a request you will need to complete an inter-library loan request form.
- You can download the form here. Fill in a separate form for each item. Ensure that the book or article details are as full and accurate as possible.
- Undergraduates and postgraduates must have their request forms signed by your supervisor.
- Return the completed forms to the library.
How many inter-library loans can be requested?
|| Quota of requests|
|| No quota|
| Research postgraduates
|| 20 items per academic year|
| Taught postgraduates
|| 12 items per academic year|
| 3RD & 4TH year undergraduates
|| 3 items for FYP|
The time taken for requests to arrive varies considerably, from a few days to several weeks. The Inter-Library Loans staff are able to supply progress reports on request.
What happens when the material arrives?
You will receive notice by email that the item has arrived and is available for collection from the Inter-Library Loans office. Most items are for loan but restrictions are placed on some material by the lending library requiring that it be used in the library only.
You can keep photocopies of journal articles
Loan periods for books depend on the lending library. They can vary from one week to six weeks. The return date will be shown on a slip inside the book.
Limerick: Phone 061-204365, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or go to the library service desk.
Thurles: Phone 0504-20531, email: email@example.com or go to the library service desk.