Text Size
A-Z Index Search
Skip navigation links
Study @ MIC
Current Students
Faculties & Departments
Research & Grad School
International Students

Visa & Immigration Requirements

Citizens of certain countries require an entry visa for Ireland.  Please check the Government of Ireland, Department of Foreign Affairs website to see if you are a citizen of a country that requires a visa to enter Ireland. A list of countries whose citizens do not require visas to study in Ireland is available here.

It is the responsibility of the student to apply for his or her own entry visa. You should contact your local Irish Diplomatic Mission for advice on visa applications. A list of Irish embassies and consulates is available here.

In the event that there is no local Irish Diplomatic Mission, you should contact the Visa Section at the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS): +353 1 6167700 or visamail@justice.ie.


Nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA)

Citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA) are not required to present themselves to the immigration authorities in Ireland.  

Non-EEA Nationals

All citizens of non–EEA countries, whether they require a visa or not, are subject to immigration control at the point of entry to Ireland. All non-EEA nationals are also required to formally register their stay with the Immigration Authorities (GNIB), Garda Síochana, Henry Street, Limerick during their first week in Ireland. You will need to have the following documentation:

  • Valid passport
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in Ireland or a letter of sponsorship*
  • Proof of Health Insurance for duration of stay
  • Student Status Letter (Letter from host college confirming their acceptance and course details)

You should have these documents in your hand luggage when travelling to Ireland as you may be asked to produce them at the point of entry to Ireland (this is not a substitute for the formal registration of your stay in Ireland).  

Once you have been formally registered (normally within two weeks of arrival), you will be issued with an immigration card stating the period in which you are allowed to remain in the State. The immigration authorities apply a charge of €300 for this card. Your GNIB card is only issued for one year, and you are responsible for renewing it for each year of your programme. You will need to call to the GNIB office in Henry Street to do this each year. . 

*Documented proof should show the student having at least €400 per month at their disposal. Alternatively, a Letter of Sponsorship should state that the sponsor will provide all financial and medical support necessary for the person named while they remain in Ireland. It should be specified that if granted permission to remain the person named will not become a burden on the State.


Mary Immaculate College, South Circular Road, Limerick, Tel: +35361 204300