Visa and Immigration Information
Pre-Arrival Visa Requirements
Citizens of certain countries require an entry visa for Ireland. Please check with the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Services (INIS) if a visa is required. How to Apply
Visa applications must be made online using the INIS AVATS on-line facility. The on-line application and any documentation requested must be submitted prior to a visa application process commencing. Please note the following requirements:
- passport must be valid for 12 months;
- evidence of private health insurance;*
- evidence of an offer to study at Mary Immaculate College;
- evidence of payment of tuition fees;
- evidence of sufficient funds to cover living expenses.
*A health insurance plan with 12 months cover costing €120 can be purchased here.
It is advisable to apply for a visa as early as possible as it can take at least 8 weeks to process. It is possible to check if a visa has been processed at INIS Visa Decisions, which is updated weekly.
Please contact the International Office if you encounter any difficulty with the visa application process.
Post-Arrival Immigration Requirements
Citizens of the EU/EEA are not required to present themselves to the immigration authorities in Ireland.
All non-EU/EEA citizens are subject to immigration controls at the point of entry to Ireland. An immigration official will stamp a date of either 1 or 3 months from the entry date, requiring registration with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) in Limerick within that time period.
In addition to your passport (with visa, if required) it is essential to have your acceptance letter from Mary Immaculate College, evidence of funding available and fees paid, and evidence of private health insurance available for inspection by the immigration official.
Registering with the GNIB
The International Office will assist with arranging an appointment to register with the GNIB. The following documents must be presented to the GNIB:
- valid passport (with entry visa if required);
- letter of acceptance from Mary Immaculate College;
- valid student ID card;
- evidence of private medical insurance;
- evidence of access to sufficient funds to cover living expenses;
- a credit/debit card for payment of €300 registration fee.
Following registration with the GNIB, a Certificate of Registration will be issued, which is valid for 1 year, or 1 semester, whichever is applicable. The GNIB card must be renewed each year by the expiry date.
Re-entry and Multi-Entry Visas (For Visa-Required Nationals Only)
If travelling outside Ireland (including Northern Ireland), a re-entry visa is required. There are two types of re-entry visas; single entry and multiple entry. It is recommended to apply for a multi-entry visa, which allows for multiple re-entry during the valid timeframe of the GNIB card.
Please see the INIS for information on re-entry visas. The following documents are required:
- completed application form;
- valid passport;
- GNIB registration card;
- passport photo;
- acceptance letter from Mary Immaculate College;
- the appropriate fee (single entry-€60, multi entry-€100) in bank draft or postal order form.
Please contact the International Office if any difficulties are encountered during this process.