Text Size
A-Z Index Search
Skip navigation links
Study @ MIC
St. Patrick’s Campus Thurles
Faculties & Departments
Research & Grad School
International Students

Working in Ireland

Students attending a full-time course for one year are entitled to work part-time, up to 20 hours per week, during academic terms and full-time, up to 40 hours per week, during college holidays.  Please see the academic calendar for details of term dates.

Students attending Mary Immaculate College for one semester are not permitted to work.

Personal Public Service Number (PPS)

Similar to a Social Security Number, or other tax identification number, a PPS number is required  to register with the Irish tax office, Revenue, and to work in Ireland.

Students must attend the Intreo Centre in Limerick to apply for a PPS number and provide the documentation outlined below.

EU/EEA Students

Students from the EU/EEA can work in Ireland without a work permit, but must apply for a PPS number.  The following documentation is required:

  • Passport
  • Proof of address, such as a utility bill or bank statement
  • Evidence of a job offer, e.g. an offer letter

Non-EU/EEA Students

Full-time Non-EU/EEA Students can work up to 20 hours per week during term time and up to 40 hours during holiday periods.  Students studying for just one semester cannot work while in Ireland.  When applying for a PPS number, the following documentation is required:

  • Passport
  • Garda National Immigration Bureau Card (GNIB)
  • Mary Immaculate College student card
  • Proof of address, such as a status letter from Mary Immaculate College, utility bill, bank statement.
  • Status letter from Mary Immaculate College
  • Evidence of a job offer, e.g. an offer letter


Please contact the International Office with any questions.




Mary Immaculate College, South Circular Road, Limerick, Tel:+35361 204300  V94VN26

This website uses cookies, by continuing you agree to their use.
Learn more about cookies and how to manage them.