What is the Foundation Certificate?
The Foundation Certificate for Mature Learners is a programme offered by the Academic Learning Centre (ALC) in Mary Immaculate College and is designed for mature learners who wish to continue their education. The course is aimed at anyone over the age of 22 by January 1st on the year of application, who is interested in progressing to fulltime third level study. The course takes place two evenings a week, Mondays and Wednesdays from 7.00 to 9.00 and runs from October to April.
Aims and objectives of the course:
- Equip students with the necessary skills to participate in, and benefit from, a third level course
- Provide students with an opportunity to experience the satisfaction that can be gained from learning
- Build up confidence in a supportive learning environment
- Provide a direct access route to the MIC BA in Liberal Arts for those who attain a merit
- Provide an alternative to the Leaving Certificate as a route to third level for mature students
Subjects currently on offer:
The 80 hour programme is designed to offer participants a sample of the subjects that are available on a degree programme, while equipping students with a set of transferrable, which will enable them to succeed at third level. The programme features a range of 6 core subjects chosen from the B.A degree in MIC, including, history, heritage studies, German studies, philosophy, English literature and Geography. In addition, two core skills programmes are also offered; Academic Writing and Information Technology.
What do I get afterwards?
Students achieving a merit on the Foundation Certificate will be offered a place on the BA (Liberal Arts) Degree programme in MIC, subsequent to completion of a CAO form and supplementary form before the 1st February.
In addition, MIC Foundation Students who obtain a merit (average of a B3) have direct entry to the following UL programmes (subject to certain criteria in some instances, please see notes below). All interested applicants must apply via the CAO system:
MI 002 Arts (Mary Immaculate College- offered in conjuction with UL)
LM 002 Arts (offered in conjuction with Mary Immaculate College)
LM 039 Journalism & New Media
LM 040 European Studies
LM 050 Business Studies
Note: Please note that students progressing to language options within these programmes must already have Leaving Certificate level language, except where beginners level level languages are offered by the programme.
* MI009 Education, Business Studies & Accounting (MIC -St Pats Campus, Thurles)
* MI010 Education, Business Studies & Religious Studies (MIC - St Pats Campus, Thurles)
* Please note applicants may be required to attend for interview.
- €400 per annum payable in two instalments of €200 at the commencement of each semester.
- A reduced rate of €100 per annum (payable in two instalments) is available for holders of means tested medical cards.
For Course Information
Contact the Course Co-ordinator :
Dr Geraldine Brosnan,
Director of Student Life,
South Circular Road,
Contact the Admissions Office :
The Admissions Office
South Circular Road,
The application form can be downloaded from this link.